Friday, February 24, 2012

Review: The Everafter

The Everafter
By Amy Huntley, read by Tavia Gilbert
Published 2009 by Brilliance Audio

Madison is dead. She doesn't know how or why or where she is but she knows that she's dead. She also knows that she's surrounded by glowing objects from her life - the things she lost. And she finds that she can use these objects to travel back to the moments in which she lost them. Can she use one of these objects to figure out how she died?

Okay, this is going to be a really rare review from me. Because I really didn't like this book, but I have nothing to say about it. Normally, my reviews are longer when I dislike a book, but not this time. I have to start by saying: what the h is this book? Like seriously. This book makes pretty much no sense while at the same time attempting to be incredibly philosophical. There is nothing about this book that works for me. The characters are all underdeveloped, including Madison. I suppose this may be because we are only getting snapshots of her life. But what it ultimately means is that I just didn't care about her. I wanted to find out how she died because it would mean the book was over. But, it's not terribly hard to figure out, either. I'm quite surprised that this book had such good reviews on Goodreads. I get that the author was trying to explore the question of life after death; for me, she just didn't do so satisfactorily. Apparently, this is supposed to be the first book in a series, but I don't think I'll be reading anymore. This just did not work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment