Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Thoughts: The Kill Order



The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, prequel)
By James Dashner, read by Mark Deakins,
Published 2012 by Listening Library

Before Thomas and the existence of the Glade, sun flares killed many of the Earth's population. And then, a deadly virus came. Hear the story of what it takes to survive in this world.

I'm calling this "Thoughts" instead of a review because I'm not sure how much I'll have to say. I was looking forward to this book, though my experience with the rest of the series was a bit lackluster. My fiance, who read all the books as well, told me this was his favorite. Particularly after finishing book three and being extremely disappointed, I was hoping to find some answers in this book.

I honestly couldn't tell you if there were any. I listened to the audio version of this and it was an extremely poor choice. In fact, the entire time I thought, "Do publishers realize that not every book works well in audio?" I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that this book was not one I should have listened to. It didn't grab me at all, which really shouldn't have surprised me. As I said, the series was interesting enough, but not one of the best things I've ever read. I really struggled with this book because it move backs and forth temporally and, as I didn't find the story or characters terribly compelling, I couldn't keep track of what timeline I was in.

I don't have much more to say about this. I was unimpressed. I think it's safe to say that Dashner is not an author for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment